Thursday, June 12, 2014

Understanding Disney Addiction for my Non-Disney Friends


As an adult Disney fan, I’ve had to explain my addiction to friends and co-workers time and time again.  This is a difficult task.  How do you explain as a person over the age of (cough, cough) that you love going to Disney World as much as your kids, if not more?   And this is especially hard when you run into people that have had less then fun Disney experiences.  I’ve heard all the Disney woes.  “I hate the crowds!”  “I hate waiting in line.”  “That place is just too crazy.”  So, how do you explain Disney to these people?

On our trip a week ago, I took some time to really think about why I love visiting with The Mouse.  I love that when you step inside a park, the outside world melts away.  There is no work to think about, no housecleaning, and no homework or carpool.  The everyday world disappears and you are in Disney World.  But, it is more than that, much more than that.

Sitting in Tomorrowland, it came to me.  What I enjoy about Disney is not completely disappearing from my life, but seeing all the life going on around me.  It’s the memories being made around me as I walk down Main Street or step onto a ride.  The ones that make me stop, smile and appreciate that moment in time.  And last week I wrote down a few to share.

There was the 3 year old girl in the bathroom outside Crystal Palace singing “Let It Go” at the top of her lungs as she washed her hands and waited for her mom.  I think everyone in or out of a stall at that moment couldn’t help but smile. And yes, in the bathroom.

There was the couple in their 60’s on the Tea Cups.   The husband was laughing away as he spun them in circles. The wife had a sly smile on her face and a playful look.  They spent the entire ride staring at each other, laughing, flirting and just being young again.

My favorite moment, though, had to be a group of teenagers riding Dinosaur with their grandpa.  They were excitedly telling him about the ride and nudging him along.  He playfully joked with a Cast Member “Is it too late to leave” while giving a wink.  The teenagers roared, “Oh no grandpa!  You have to go!”  He laughed and got on board.  The entire ride the teens called out to their grandpa to look here and look there and “here we go grandpa!”  They were more excited to be riding with him than anything else.

Those moments are why I love Disney.  Seeing a young child’s imagination come to life while they sing at the top of their lungs.   Watching grown adults become kids again and experience true love.  And seeing generations, old and young, sharing time together and making memories.  So next time someone asks you to explain your Disney addiction, I hope this will help.  And I challenge you next time you are at Disney to take a few moments and look around.  See the memories being made, feel the excitement in the air, and smile.   That’s what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Count Down to Disney

We have Disney issues.  Okay, to say "issues" is mild, we are addicted to Disney.  My favorite trips are when we are able to share...